Online Employment Application
Senior Veterinary Nurse - FT
Department: Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital
As a Senior Veterinary Nurse of the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital you will be a part of a dedicated team of vets, nurses and keepers working to rescue, repair, rehabilitate and release sick, injured, orphaned or displaced native wildlife and contribute to research that supports conservation of Australian native fauna.
The AZWH operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is dedicated to the highest standard of animal welfare possible, therefore this position will include a wide variety of daily tasks and also varying shifts. Compassion and a commitment to conservation and patient care are an important part of this role. Senior Veterinary Nurses are required to show a high level of professionalism, commitment and dedication to their roles, which may include long hours, night-time work and weekend/public holiday work.
Senior nurses play a fundamental role within the hospital, leading by example to ensure all patients receive the highest level of care possible.
• Veterinary Nurse Certificate IV with minimum 5yrs current veterinary nursing experience
• Hold current Driver's Licence and own transport
• Available to work weekends, public holidays, and school holiday periods with an understanding that shifts will also include night shift (rotation)
• Demonstrated Team Leadership
• Excellent presentation and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to provide a high level of customer service to members of the public and wildlife carers
• Demonstrated desire and passion for the industry
• Maintain a satisfactory & suitable level of fitness & well being to safely perform the duties
• Knowledge of animal husbandry and wildlife species natural history, including hand-raising of wildlife species.
• Knowledge of the main diet trees of koalas.
• Knowledge of emergency medicine principles, surgical preparation, ICU monitoring and anaesthesia monitoring.
• Excellent hygiene practices, including understanding of quarantine procedures.
• Ability to observe and report abnormal animal behaviours.
• Ability to handle wild animals in a safe and confident manner.
Apply for this job below. Applications close 29th of April 2018
Here is a checklist of information you will need to have ready before you start to complete the employment application form:
- Education history
- Employment history
- Any qualifications you may have eg First Aid
- Any achievements you may like to tell us about
- your availability (what hours can you work)
- A resume in .pdf or .doc format
- Any other info that may support your application
Please allow 20 minutes to complete the application.